Tuesday, January 25, 2022

4 - Diego B: Seeing Life Through A New Lens

Glasses are strange. I don’t hate to wear them or anything, but, and especially during the pandemic, they’ve always felt strange on my skin. I don’t know whether it’s the occasional bump I feel on my nose every fifteen seconds in public or the dampness I see after I take a long walk, but it always feels strange walking around in them. I received my first pair of glasses in the seventh grade because I was always in the very back of the classroom and I couldn’t see the whiteboard. With my glasses, at least I can read labels afar in the classroom or on the aisles in the store, which I always needed to walk to, only for me to walk away again because the label was not what I wanted. It’s safe to say that I can see the whiteboard better now, but I don’t know if my face feels any better now. Walking with glasses is especially obnoxious in my opinion, in large part attributed to my mask, an issue that I am certain every wearer of glasses experiences. In the winter, in particular, I can actually see better without my glasses sometimes than with them because of how damp my vision is while they are worn. Looking through damp glasses is like looking through a window on a rainy day adjacent to a homely fireplace, except that the fireplace has engulfed nearly my entire house in flames and smoke because the breath from my mouth is so warm. I don’t hate wearing glasses, though, and at least I can see my surroundings better, even if my mouth feels as hot as a furnace sometimes. I mean, at least I’m not wearing contact lenses. (287 words)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Diego, I found your glass blig pretty interesting. I have glasses that I use when Im on my computer and I occasionally wear them to school. Even though I dont wear my glasses on a daily bases I did relate to when it fogs up your lenses. I found it interesting that in the winter that you eye sight is better with out your glasses, and I wonder why that is. A question I have is why you prefer glasses more than contacts or have you ever tried contacts before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post! I thought the way you told the small story of why you needed to get glasses, and then transition that into you being able to see in grocery aisles was really interesting and well done. I also noticed how well you described how glasses made you feel in the cold. Describing the cold really made me picture that image in my head. Again well done!

    ReplyDelete

15- AshleyM: Sleepless emotions

  As screens take our daily lives , they also take our resting nights. The daily scroll through social media and endless tiktoks that make u...