Sunday, January 16, 2022

#2 Jenna K-I Am From

I am from the house on Winchester Court, Where I grew up surrounded by laughter, love, and support. I am from the pure joy I felt after my brother taught me how to ride a bike, And the terror I felt while chasing my dog down the street after he escaped. I am from lightsaber fights and nerf gun battles with my family, Playing capture the flag and (accidentally) shooting my mom in the eye with a nerf bullet. I am from long drives to Disneyland, Watching Iron Man on my portable DVD player and blasting “21 Guns” from Zach’s iPod. Playing some of the most competitive games of Mario Kart I have ever experienced, And quoting Revenge of the Sith until our parents begged us to stop. I am from the endless memories made at Hat Creek. Dirt covering me from head to toe, smelling like the campfire. Burnt marshmallow in one hand, fishing pole in the other, Treasuring every moment I got to spend there with my friends and family. I am from the hopscotch path to my grandparent’s unairconditioned playhouse, Where I spent countless hours playing “house” with my cousin. I am from the sound of Christmas music while I decorated the tree with Ma, and laughter when I played games in the living room with Poppy. I am from the many inside jokes I have with my best friend. Staying awake until the early hours of the morning, Talking, laughing, and trying to understand the ways of the world. Feeling like we are the only two people who truly understand one another, And knowing each other better than we know ourselves. I am from the smell of fresh popcorn. Standing under the glowing lights of the concession stand and constantly asking, “Would you like to upgrade to the Superstar combo for 50 cents more?” I am from the urgency of trying to quickly clean a movie theater while the credits roll behind me, Fighting the urge to yell at customers who leave their trash behind. I am from long car rides with Mom and movie marathons with Dad. I am from late night talks in the kitchen with Zach, Sitting across the table from each other for hours, Telling each other all of our secrets. Discussing anything and everything, trying not to wake up our parents. Laughing until we can’t breathe, or helping each other through our hardest moments. I am from random adventures with my friends. Shamelessly ordering happy meals at the age of 16. Staying up way too late eating junk food and binging the entire Scary Movie franchise. I am from a loving family and supportive friends. I am from inside jokes and rainy days. I am from compassion, empathy, kindness, and perseverance. With so much life left to live, these are the things that make the foundations for who I am.

1 comment:

  1. This blog post was everything for me! I love reading poems, and especially the “I am from” poems. I thought your poem in particular flowed so well, and stood out. I really love how you tied in your childhood, and your current teen years as well. I thought it was really well done how you described that you worked at the movie theaters, instead of just outright saying you worked at the movie theaters. I also found it interesting how you sort of went back on the idea of “late night talks” with certain people and “laughing till you can’t breathe”, because those can be one of the most important and impactful moments of our lives, that really shape us as the people we are today. Anyways, great job!

    ReplyDelete

15- AshleyM: Sleepless emotions

  As screens take our daily lives , they also take our resting nights. The daily scroll through social media and endless tiktoks that make u...