Friday, January 14, 2022

2- Katrina S: I am From Poem

 


I am From response:


I am from snatching Lays Barbeque chips from my friends, from nibbling on Lunchables and FruitRollups. I am a raccoon, taking leftovers and trading snacks. My seat is Awesome spot #1 on the olive tree, my table is a large rock, where we feast on salami and pretzels.


I am from catching possums and backyard creatures, under the protection of my session of 17 rabies shots. I am from letting the neighbors cats inside my home to have lunch, then watching Kitty hiss and smack Stampy as he eats her food. 


I am from making horror movies about sock monkeys on an orange Samsung tablet. I am from being a bossy director getting frustrated at friends' lack of ability to memorize their lines. I am from accidentally deleting all my footage from my first camera. 


 I am from evil wombats and hissing barn owl dance moves. My armor is my converse, sheltering me from the flying sardines who eat toes, but you might just call those seagulls. I am from playing Minecraft for 6 hours straight with my friends, whilst Vine compilations play in the background. I am from dancing to the Kidz Bop version of Watch Me Whip with my best friend Ali, mannequin heads hiding our identities from the audience at the 6th grade talent show. 


I am from watching only seeing the Russian version of American movies and eating Borscht and Praniki. I am from reading stories about Baba Yaga and crying at the end of Rusalochka (a depressing version of The Little Mermaid).


I am from my experiences and from what is to come.


Word count: 272


2 comments:


  1. Hi Katrina! I really enjoyed your poem! All of your descriptions were so detailed, and it felt like I got to have a glimpse into your childhood. I think it’s really cool how you mentioned that you grew up watching the Russian versions of American movies. That’s a very unique and interesting thing to learn about you! My favorite part was when you mentioned your performance with Ali in the sixth grade talent show. I remember sitting there on the floor of the multipurpose room thinking I would never watch anything more entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this piece. Your connections to animals relating yourself to the raccoon stealing food and finding your ways to eat was really interesting. I also liked about the Russian connection listening to Russian version of American movies and all the heritage of your family was relatable and interesting as well

    ReplyDelete

15- AshleyM: Sleepless emotions

  As screens take our daily lives , they also take our resting nights. The daily scroll through social media and endless tiktoks that make u...