Monday, March 14, 2022

10: Jenna K- One More Year

I didn’t believe it when they said high school flies by. I thought it would be the longest four years of my life. Yet here I am, less than three months away from my last summer as a high school student. One more year of this until my life changes forever. I was just talking to my best friend the other day about how crazy it is that we met when she was four and I was five, in line to go into our first day of kindergarten in Mrs. Wilcox’s class, and in one short year we will be taking pictures together in our caps and gowns. There are so many people that I have grown up with for fourteen years, through Cooper, Vaca Pena, and now Wood, and they have shaped who I am as a person. Even people I barely talk to have had a genuine impact on me, because I have watched them grow and change as individuals, and they have witnessed the same process in me. After next year, I may never see some of them ever again. When we walk across that stage together, it signifies the beginning of the next chapter of our lives, but also the end of life as we’ve known it since we were five. I am ready to leave high school and start the next phase of my life, but I don’t know if I’m ready to let go of all the bonds and memories i’ve made with my classmates over the years. Even my closest friends, the ones that have been there with me through thick and thin, will eventually go down their own paths and it will become harder to spend time with them. I’m grateful that graduation is a year away. I need one more year to enjoy being a teenager, going to football games, blasting music in the car with my friends, saving videos to my Snapchat memories, and driving to Mcdonald’s at 11pm to get everyone ice cream cones. Graduation is much more than a diploma and a free pass out of education. When you walk across that stage you are also crossing the threshold into adulthood, and you can’t turn back. I have one more year to enjoy being a kid and I am going to take advantage of that until the second the graduation march starts to play. Word count: 396

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenna,
    I have to disagree with you. After you graduate, yes it will be increasingly more difficult to make time with friends, and there will be far more responsibilities, but that isn't the end of your childhood. When I was younger, around 10 years old I would have anxiety about loosing my child years, or "wasting" them. When friends wanted to play video games inside, i'd tell them we need to go outside and do something because one day we won't be able to. In a way its nice that I tried to preserve my childhood, but I was far too young to be worrying about growing up. I think society makes us think that the moment we turn 18 it's all over, no more fun, just responsibilities and work, but this isn't the case. I believe when we are much much older, college years and early 20s will still feel like our teen years (just with more adult stuff). We can make memories and do silly things no matter how old we are, and age doesn't define that.

    Also I like that you made this post personal, you simply mentioning Mrs.Wilcox's name brought back memories!

    ReplyDelete

15- AshleyM: Sleepless emotions

  As screens take our daily lives , they also take our resting nights. The daily scroll through social media and endless tiktoks that make u...