Monday, April 4, 2022

13-Khaleah A:Finical Peace University


During the summer my mom always assigns me tasks to do to keep me preoccupied. The assignment could be raising a certain amount of money or doing some sort of community service.


I honestly haven't had a normal summer since 8th grade. With also being in the VECHS program I've taken advantage of being able to do summer classes. So I practically do school work all year long. I appreciate my mom motivating me to help out my community or pick up a new hobby.


Last summer my mom signed me up for an online financial class by Dave Ramsey. Ramsey is a personal finance personality, radio show host, and businessman. The Financial Peace University is a 9 lesson course that teaches high schoolers and middle schoolers to save for emergencies, pay off debt, spend wisely, and invest in your future. 


I've learned the importance of budgeting and saving, interest,  different forms of income, and ways to avoid debt. Growing up I watched my mom hustle every day to provide for her and me. She would always have multiple sources of income and backup plans, we would be able to rely on in case of emergency. 


It was important to my mom that she'd had everything in her name and owned her own things. She watched my Grandparents live paycheck to paycheck and missed out on a lot of opportunities simply because she couldn't afford them. Through this program she wanted me to appreciate the value of a dollar and realize that everything is worked for and earned and nothing will be just handed to you.  


I would strongly recommend this course to every high school and a middle school student. These are the years that teens work on building their financial independence and it's important to form healthy habits now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

15- AshleyM: Sleepless emotions

  As screens take our daily lives , they also take our resting nights. The daily scroll through social media and endless tiktoks that make u...