Monday, April 4, 2022

13- Samantha A: The Art of a Clay Face



I’ve never been good at art. I’ve never been considered “artistic”, so when I decided to take art in 7th grade, I knew I was setting myself up for failure. However it was my teacher that told us that “art is art, and you can never fail”, that made me start to care about the class. I remember specifically when we started to make clay faces, I started to enjoy the process of art and realized just how accurate that statement was. My clay face was beautiful in its own way, in the fact that it was a woman with a beautiful brown skin texture, and full pink lips. Our teacher told us we could add any decorations on the face we wanted to, and how it didn’t need to be realistic, since this was an art class.

 It wasn’t until I saw the other classmates around me adding extraordinary headpieces like flowers or clay beads, that I decided I wanted to add a few pieces like that too. I decided to add triangles on the cheeks and a flower crown on the head. I always felt sort of bad, looking at mine compared to the other students, but I still appreciated mine the way it was. It definitely wasn’t what you’d expect for a clay face, but it was my own work that I took the time to form, paint, and decorate.


 I remember vividly having clay on my hands early 2nd period every morning, and having to scrub it off under the cold classroom water. I remember the countless amounts of demos the teacher taught before we would dive right into the clay. And I even remember coming in during study halls to work extra on it. In the end I was happy with the way it turned out, and I still have the clay face to this day. It’s a ridiculous piece of work, but one I have learned to admire as art. 


(okay this is worst than I remembered) 

Word count: 324


2 comments:

  1. Hey Samantha! I found your blog extremely relatable. I’m not very good at art myself, but I love being creative and the idea of art. With the word art, there is a rush of ideas and a vision set in place. Even though most of my art looks nothing like my vision a lot of the time. The whole experience is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Samantha, i remember this exact same art project so i felt a connection with this post. I just love how you phrase and say your art project may not be physically beautiful but its gorgeous in it own way because it got you to come out of your shell.

    ReplyDelete

15- AshleyM: Sleepless emotions

  As screens take our daily lives , they also take our resting nights. The daily scroll through social media and endless tiktoks that make u...