Tuesday, April 26, 2022

15 - Mariza Avalos: A Terrifying Experience

On my sixth birthday, my mom and stepdad decided that it would be a good idea to take me on a vacation trip to Disneyland. It was my very first trip to Disneyland and most of the experience was very fun and memorable except for one unfortunate downside. I barely reached the 40” mark which meant that most of those exciting and fun roller coasters I wasn’t allowed to go on. In fsct, I wasn’t even allowed to ride on Goofy’s Sky School. Instead it would be stuff like the teacups, dumbo, and it’s a small world. Truly, I don’t think there is a ride at disneyland that I despise, but most of those for me were just too boring. 


Everything else was great including the food, other attractions, characters… It was just the rides that made the experience a bit bitter. On our third and final day, I was a bit disappointed about my situation with the rides. We were walking around California Adventure when my mom found that I was able to go on one of the seemingly exciting rides. A ride that was placed kind of in the corner of California Adventures and was in a tall narrow building. It didn’t have a visible name that you could see at ground level, but instead had big letters that were placed at the top which read “Hollywood Tower Hotel.”  


As a matter of child ignorance, I didn’t know what to expect of this ride nor did I read into any of the context clues. I just figured that I would follow my mom and engage in her excitement about the fact that I was finally able to ride something fun… It was a very big mistake because as soon as we stepped into the first elevator, which gave an introduction to the ride, my heart sank. My mom tried to convince me that this ride would be worth waiting in a 30 minute line for, but nothing about this so called Hollywood Tower Hotel gave the idea “fun” to me. 


The atmosphere was made for the ride itself, but as a kindergartener I wasn’t able to comprehend that all of the props and acting were there for the appearance.  There were cobwebs everywhere in the lobby, and the line for the ride was in a dark maintenance area. The screams of the current rides could be heard all throughout the enclosed area in order to ellevate the anticipation. Everything that led up to ride just made my stomach churn more. But of course, it wasn’t until I went on the ride itself that I finally declared this the worst experience of all time. 



1 comment:

  1. This post was so detailed! I really love how much effort you put into describing your Disneyland experience and how it didn’t get somewhat “interesting” until the tower of terror ride. I’ve never been on that ride, but at 17 years old I am still scared to go on it today. I definitely think you described the ride so well to the point where I had that nervous feeling as well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

15- AshleyM: Sleepless emotions

  As screens take our daily lives , they also take our resting nights. The daily scroll through social media and endless tiktoks that make u...